[b-hebrew] Habakkuk 1:12 - O might God, O Rock

schmuel schmuel at nyc.rr.com
Fri Jul 20 20:12:36 EDT 2007

Hi Folks,

On this next verse the discussion is usually about "we shall not die" and
the issue of the tiqqune sopherim.   However there is another question
as well textually.

The KJB and the Judaica Press Bible read similarly.

Habakkuk 1:12
Art thou not from everlasting, O LORD my God, mine Holy One?
we shall not die. O LORD, thou hast ordained them for judgment;
and, O mighty God, thou hast established them for correction.

Chavakuk - Habakkuk
http://www.chabad.org/library/article.asp?AID=16197
Judaica Press
Are You not from everlasting, O Lord, my God, my Holy One?
We shall not die. O Lord, You have ordained them for judgment,
and, O Mighty God, You have established them for correction.

Yet many versions read
    "O Rock"       or
    "(my) Rock)"  rather than
    "O Mighty God".

Would anyone be able to give the textual and translational and contextual issues involved.

Thanks.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY