[b-hebrew] Isaiah 7

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Jul 20 11:55:24 EDT 2007

Dear James,

This is where we disagree. I, for one, don't know how to know if a prophet
has the ability to predict salvation. If it's belief we're discussing (which
it should not be), then my belief is that the prophets that were accepted
into the canon were included because their words were relevant for future
generations. But if it's the actual literary context that we're talking
about, then the "sign" is not that the woman, whoever she was, was pregnant.
The sign was that by the time the yet unborn child could tell right from
wrong, Aram and Israel would be gone. Now that's not a sign that would be
recognized right away. Isaiah's message was "keep faith, things will work
out for the better - eventually".

Yigal Levin

BTW, note that we're no longer discussing virginity, but the meaning of the
"sign" in Isaiah 7: 7-17. Now that's very close to the edge, but I think
that we can allow it as long as participants stick to the literary and
linguistic issues and do not begin to debate messianic issues.