[b-hebrew] virginity

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Jul 20 04:37:52 EDT 2007

I think that Kevin's comment is right to the point. The "prophecy" involved
is not about the birth of the boy, but about the fact that within a fairly
short time God will make the threat posed by the kings of Israel and Aram go
away. The message is really, "have faith, life will go on as usual, all will
be okay". And as part of the normalcy, I would assume that the 'almah in
question was one of the (young) women of the court, whose pregnancy was not
to be considered out of the ordinary: "See, that there girl is pregnant and
will have a boy...". That considered, I would assume that she would have
been married, although if someone WAS to show that the term 'almah always
refers to an unmarried young woman (I don't think that this has yet been
proven) that would be fine with me as well.

Yigal Levin