[b-hebrew] virginity

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Wed Jul 18 23:46:40 EDT 2007

Dear Isaac,

The G in "glmt" is really a Gh, the letter "ghayin", related to 'ayin but
pronounced deeper in the throat. This letter still exists in Arabic. The
ancient Hebrews kept the distinction between the two even though they used
the same sign for both of them, somwhat like Shin and Sin. So that some
'ayins are orriginally ghayins. For Example, this is why the city name 'Azza
in Hebrew became Gaza in Greek - because that how in was still pronounced in
Hellenistic times (and is still pronounced in Arabic). That's why 'Amorah is
"Gommorah". In this case, the Ugaritic proves that the 'ayin in 'almah is
really a ghayin.

Yigal Levin