[b-hebrew] UK Report: Archaeological Find Confirms Hebrew Text of Jeremiah

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Jul 17 10:20:32 EDT 2007

B-Listim

It is certainly satisfying to find outside references to biblical
names and events, yet Nabu-sharrussu-ukin appears to me to contain
common generic components.
1. NABU is from the Hebrew root NB, 'noble, substantial', with the
immediately following personal pronoun U, corresponding to the Hebrew
HU. The A sound is just a puff of air between the two consonants. If
this personal pronoun is in reference to the man himself, then its
function is to turn NAB into 'he is a NAB'. The root NB itself is the
combination of the two fundamental concepts AN-NA and AB-BA,
corresponding to the English existence markers 'in-on' and 'be-of'.
The root NB spawned the names NOB, [see Isaiah 10:32], NBO, or HAR
NBO, [see Isaiah 46:1 and Deuteronomy 32:49], NABOT, [see 1 Kings
21:2], NBAYOT, [see Genesis 25:13], and possibly with the addition of
L for loftiness, also NABAL, [see 1 Kings 25:3].
Also derived from this root are the words T-NUB-AH, 'growth, yield,
produce, issue of the earth', NIB, 'issue of the mouth', [see Isaiah
57:19], (ANAB, 'grape'---related to (ANAP, branch'---(ANAW, 'upright,
meek?', [see Numbers 12:3], and of course NABIY), 'prophet', which I
think is but a variant of NASIY), 'elevated one'.
2. SARRUSSU I find enigmatic [why a double R and a double S?]. It may
be considered as SARU-USU, 'a mighty prince', or SAR-RUSSU 'a head
prince' with RUSSU, 'head', or SA-RUSU, 'up ahead', [recall the
hebrew expression NASA) RO)$], or it may be just one word derived
from the root SRS including the two U = HU personal pronouns. In any
event it contains the letter R, which in Hebrew is an indicator of
dispersion and aggregation. The root SRS assumed the connotation of
'eunuch' or 'castrated man', since some ancient functionaries where
apparently so undone to render them docile and impotent, but it needs
no be so. There is no reason to assume that the SARIYS of Genesis
37:36 was castrated. The root SRS may be just an extension of SR,
corresponding to the Aramaic root ZRZ, 'geared, agile, nimble, alert,
driven, hovering around the king, running to do his bidding'.
3. UKIN may mean many things, but may be it is not UKIN but rather
SUKIN, for the Hebrew SOKEN?

Isaac Fried, Boston University