[b-hebrew] virginity

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Tue Jul 17 01:00:43 EDT 2007

Biblically, it had to do with her inheritance and property rights,
etc. - and later on, whether she was married or not previously, has
everything to do with her rights in her Ketuba.

Shoshanna

Harold,

What I am saying is scripturally and legally of the utmost importance
since it may mean the difference between life and death.
If you define virgin as a woman with an intact hymen, then I say the
Hebrew bible has no use for it. A BTULAH is a woman not yet married,
that's all. By tacit assumption she is also chaste. On her marriage
contract, a Jewish woman, first married, is designated as a BTULAH,
even without producing any certificate of virginity. So the most one
can say about an (LMAH is that she is not yet married.

Isaac Fried, Boston University