[b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Mon Jul 16 11:54:15 EDT 2007

On 16 Jul 2007 at 11:47, Tory Thorpe wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2007, at 11:35 AM, dwashbur at nyx.net wrote:
>
> > The word PARQENOS in Gen 34:3 occurs BEFORE she was raped.  I still
> > don't see your
> > point.
>
> The rape took place in v. 2. PARQENOS is used to describe Dinah in v.
> 3 (twice!) after the rape.

It's hard to tell the actual sequence of events, especially from the language of verse 3.  Why
would he first rape her, and then fall in love with her and ask his father to arrange the
wedding?  It looks as though the LXX translators had the same question and assumed he
did his tenderness thing before he violated her, which would explain why they used
PARQENOS to render NA(AR.

In any case, I suspect Karl is right: what we have here is nothing more than a case of poor
translation.  It certainly doesn't make your case.

Dave Washburn
But I can't say Sylvester, George!