[b-hebrew] virginity

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Jul 16 03:01:11 EDT 2007

Dear Rivka,

I agree that the discussion of the "Almah" in Isaiah 7:14 was turning into a theological debate, and I'm happy that the thread took a different direction before I (or another moderator) had to step in. Just goes to show that most people on this list are serious and responsible and realize the bounds of our discussion.

The discussion of whether "almah" in general means "virgin" is certainly legit. And one cannot understand what a word really "means" if one ignores the cultural etc. background in which that word is used. So while I feel that the thread may be running out of steam, I do not think that it's off-topic for this list, and will certainly want to hear if someone has any new insights or information.

Yigal