[b-hebrew] The meaning of TAM in Gen. 25:27

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Jul 15 18:36:27 EDT 2007

B-Listim

By three routes we arrive at the meaning of TAM: By context, by
family, and by the lack of an R---the Hebrew [also the IE languages?]
marker of aggregation and dispersion. The near relations of the toot
TMM [consisting of the two fundamental concepts or existence markers,
AT-TA and AM-MA, by which we are able to relate TAM to the separate
personal pronoun ATEM, 'you'] are DMM, [see psalms 107:29], ZMM, [see
deuteronomy 19:19], SMM, CMM, [see Isaiah 47:2], $MM [see 2 Kings
13:20]. Essentially they all mean 'solid, inert [not violently
rushing, non aggressive, not belligerent], stable, grave, stationary,
sluggish, tame, docile, quiet, kind, withdrawn, peaceful, simple,
shy, mild, deliberate, innocent, harmless, non threatening,
wholesome, compact, complete, perfect'.
TMM is also related to TMH, ,astonish, amaze, stun' as in Genesis
43:33. The remarkable Hebrew word EMET, 'true, solid,
stable' [opposed to RA, 'flimsy, shaky, fragile'] contains TM in
reverse, as does MUT, 'die'.
TAM provides an interesting example of how Hebrew [as do, I suppose,
all other languages] expresses the abstract  idea of 'nothing' [no-
thing] in terms of the concrete idea of 'everything' [every-thing].
If something is full, then no free space is left, and nothing can be
added to it. Consider Genesis 47:18

וַתִּתֹּם, הַשָּׁנָה הַהִוא
וַיָּבֹאוּ אֵלָיו בַּשָּׁנָה
הַשֵּׁנִית וַיֹּאמְרוּ לוֹ לֹא-
נְכַחֵד מֵאֲדֹנִי כִּי אִם-תַּם
הַכֶּסֶף

Here TAM is 'finished, exhausted, came to an end'. VA-TI-TOM HA-$ANAH
means the year completed itself, came to a close, and consequently
nothing was left of it---time was up. Consider also Psalms  37:19

סָפוּ תַמּוּ

where SAPU is from the roots SUP [related to SOP, 'end'] or SPH,
related to the roots YSP, )SP, SPP, $PH. $P(, CPH, all of positive
connotation.
Such is also the word KALAH, 'finished, perished' from the root KLH,
related to the root KLL, 'include', once more, of an entirely
positive connotation.
Another example is the root )PS, related to )BS, as in Genesis 47:15

אָפֵס כָּסֶף

money is depleted, where depleted = de-plet-ed is the opposite of
completed = com-plet-ed.

Isaac Fried, Boston University