[b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Jul 15 18:24:32 EDT 2007

Harold,

We need to distinguish between physical virginity and chastity.
Deuteronomy 22:13-21 makes clear that lack of physical virginity
means nothing, since we know, and the ancient Hebrews certainly knew
as well, that a girl may inadvertently lose her virginity for no
fault of her own. The threat of verses 20-21 is a theoretical one to
impress upon the accusing husband the seriousness of his allegations.
It is inconceivable that the ancient Hebrews would stone a woman to
death for sheer lack of virginity.

Isaac Fried, Boston University