[b-hebrew] The meaning of TAM in Gen. 25:27

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Jul 12 02:22:33 EDT 2007

The word Tam is derived from the root TMM, and as a verb means "finished",
"completed", "empty". It appears dozens of times in the Bible. Just a few
are: Gen. 47:18, Josh 4:11, Lam. 4:22. As a noun or an adjective, also
vocalized "Tom" it means "complete", "fulfilled" and also "wholeness",
"integrity": such as in Ps. 25:21. A fuller form of the same word is
"Tamim" - "whole", "complete", "perfect", both in the physical sense (such
as many times in Lev. 3-5, in which the animals used for offerings must be
"Tamim") and spiritually or metaphorically, such as Noah's being a
"righteous Tamim" in Gen. 6:9, Abraham being told to "walk before [God] and
be Tamim" in Gen. 17:1, or even God being Tamim in Deut. 32:4.

So Jacob, when compared to the rough outdoorsman Esau, was either "simple",
"honest", "righteous" or "complete". Each of these words could have several
different meanings in English as well. So what it comes down to, is looking
at the wider context and trying to understand what the author meant when
contrasting Jacob to Esau. Obviously, different commentators and translators
will use different terms, because the picture Jacob differently.

Yigal Levin