[b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Jul 11 01:22:05 EDT 2007

Joseph,

I admire your tenacity on being so completely and wholeheartedly on
the the-ists side, defending this doctrine so valiantly and
persistently against the repeated onslaught of the a-ists. But to me
this the/a argument is vain. It is crystal clear that HA-(ALMAH is in
reference to a well known [very well known, absolutely well known?]
notable person in Jerusalem at the time Isaiah spoke these words, and
therefore should be translated as the-(ALMAH. Those who want to
translate it, for whatever reason, as an-(ALMAH have the right to do
so. It is their choice.
I am uneasy about lofty terminology and am not sure about this
business of the "partial determinant of pronouns". In my opinion the
entire Hebrew language consists of roots [compounds themselves of
simpler single-literal roots] and personal pronouns, or identity
markers. Thus HA- is HI-, 'she'. I see the issue of the "definite
article" is an example of terminology assuming a life of its own---of
the golem "definite" turning against its own creator.
I find it noteworthy that the English personal pronoun 'she' is
considered a descendent of the ancients words 'so' and 'he', so
similar to the Hebrew ZEH and HA- or HI. Also in Hebrew the personal
pronoun HI is apparently but a variant of XI or XAYI, 'alive'.
As to (ALMAH, I hold it possible that it evolved from a connotation
for a young woman to an honorary title, the same way the English word
queen evolved from the base word gune---wife. After all (ALMAH
contains an L for elevation and an M for massivity, two letters that
form also the awe inspiring word (OLAM.

Isaac Fried, Boston University