[b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Jul 11 01:13:42 EDT 2007

Harold,

It appears to me that LA-MO is but an archaic reversed variant of LA-
HEM, With O = HU replacing E = I = HI. I see the personal pronoun
HEM, 'they', as the composition HEM = HIM = H-I-M including the two
substantives, or markers of existence, HA and AM. The first I
recognize as being the essential component of the root HYH, 'was',
which is just a variant of the root XYH, 'live'. The second
substantive is akin to the English 'am'. The abbreviated form -IM of
HEM serves in Hebrew as the male plural indicator as in BAT-IM = BAT-
HEM = 'house they' = 'houses'.
I think LAMO should be written with an O for the personal pronoun HU,
and not with a W, that may be misconstrued as standing for the
substantive AW-WA, corresponding to the English 'be'.
I agree with you that L-MO of Job 40:4 is not LA-MO.

Isaac Fried, Boston University