[b-hebrew] virgin vs young woman

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 10 12:45:16 EDT 2007

kenneth greifer wrote:
> Harold,
>
> I don't think Leviticus 11:41 and 43 about not eating "creeping things that
> creep" (or "swarming things that swarm") is a repetition that means
> "creeping things that creep on earth" as opposed to swarming or creeping
> things in the sea (Genesis 1:26) because Leviticus 11:9-12 already discusses
> what they can and cannot eat that lives in the water. Of course, anything is
> possible.
>
> Anyway, there are more examples of unnecessary repetitions in the Tanakh, so
> a virgin that has not known a man might be just one more example of a
> repetition. I don't think anyone can know for sure why it says "that a man
> has not known" after betula.
>
> A few more possibly unnecessary repetitions: Deuteronomy 17:1 "a defect, any
> bad thing", Numbers 19:2 "perfect, that has no defect in it". Deuteronomy
> 1:45 says G-d did not listen to them two different ways. He did not listen
> to their voice, and He did not give ear (listen) to them.

HH: The repeated $RC in 11:41 can still give clarification, as it
evidently does, despite an earlier paragraph. The earlier paragraph
might particularly make the clarification helpful. I don't have time to
look at all these verses, which you have knack for finding. There is no
doubt that Hebrew uses repetition, particularly in synonymous
parallelism as a form of poetry and proverb. But remember that phrases
could have an idiomatic value, so in Deut 1:45 the idea could have been
that God would not accede to their request or even listen to them. I
agree that we may not be able to know exactly what the implication of
the words are when the text says "that a man has not known" after betula.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard