[b-hebrew] virgin vs young woman

kenneth greifer greifer at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 10 12:27:22 EDT 2007

Harold,

I don't think Leviticus 11:41 and 43 about not eating "creeping things that
creep" (or "swarming things that swarm") is a repetition that means
"creeping things that creep on earth" as opposed to swarming or creeping
things in the sea (Genesis 1:26) because Leviticus 11:9-12 already discusses
what they can and cannot eat that lives in the water. Of course, anything is
possible.

Anyway, there are more examples of unnecessary repetitions in the Tanakh, so
a virgin that has not known a man might be just one more example of a
repetition. I don't think anyone can know for sure why it says "that a man
has not known" after betula.

A few more possibly unnecessary repetitions: Deuteronomy 17:1 "a defect, any
bad thing", Numbers 19:2 "perfect, that has no defect in it". Deuteronomy
1:45 says G-d did not listen to them two different ways. He did not listen
to their voice, and He did not give ear (listen) to them.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Greifer