[b-hebrew] virgin vs young woman

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 10 11:35:36 EDT 2007

Dear Kenneth,
> A lot of people say that betula does not mean virgin because in some quotes
> it says a virgin that did not know a man, so "that did not know a man" shows
> that the word means virgin in that quote.
>
> I have read that in the Tanakh there are many examples of unnecessary
> repetition. For example, Leviticus 11:41 and 43 say not to eat "swarming
> things that swarm". It could have just said not to eat swarming things. Why
> say "that swarm"?
>
> Genesis 25:8 and 17 say Abraham expired and died. Aren't they both the same?
>
> Job 42:17 says he was old and full of days. Isn't that unnecessary
> repetition also?
>
> Maybe repetition of ideas is just normal in the Tanakh.

HH: There is perhaps some validity in what you're saying, but probably
in each case there are reasons for the seeming repetition. Take Lev
11:41, for example:

Lev. 11:41 And every creeping thing that creepeth ($RC) upon the earth
shall be an abomination; it shall not be eaten.

HH: There are also swarming things in the sea. The same word is used
elsewhere for them:

Gen. 1:21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that
moveth ($RC), which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their
kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

HH:  So the repetition in Lev 11:41 is to clarify that he speaks of
creatures that swarm on the land.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard