[b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Mon Jul 9 06:13:14 EDT 2007

On 08/07/2007 22:03, JoeWallack at aol.com wrote:

> You are also proof-texting as you haven't even considered the full context
> of 7:14 here. ...

No, Joseph, I have considered the context, which is well known to me.
Just because I don't take time to explain everything in a short post
here, that doesn't mean that I am ignoring the context.

> ... If I claimed at this point that the combination of use of the
> Hebrew definite article along with a prophecy to the immediate Hebrew audience
> forces a translation of "the" ( a position that a relatively high percent of
> correspondents here probably have) and the proper question than is not whether
>  "the/a" is the proper translation but rather if "a" is even a possible
> translation, you would be likewise unimpressed.

I would be unimpressed because your translation (even if it is also that
of most published translations) is bad English, although the original is
good Hebrew, because the definite articles are used in different ways in
Hebrew and English. But let's stop arguing about English and stick to
Hebrew.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/