[b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Mon Jul 9 06:10:47 EDT 2007

On 09/07/2007 01:09, Harold Holmyard wrote:
> HH: True, but English allows a somewhat similar idea to the Hebrew use
> of the article that I learned. The reader can take "the virgin" as
> generic if he chooses to do so. It is the typical young woman in Israel.
> She gets pregnant, bears a child, and names him "Immanuel" because of
> the hope she has in God and his protection of Israel.

This is an interesting and (to me, at least) novel exegesis, and on this
basis I accept that the traditional English translation is just about
grammatically acceptable. But does the Hebrew really mean this? And was
the translators' intention to convey this meaning, or were they simply
being over-literal here?

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/