[b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 8 20:09:14 EDT 2007

Dear Joseph,

> HH: It can serve most of the examples  we've discussed, theoretically all
> of them, since it is a category of  usage for which these examples are
> cited. And the thought could be the  same in the reader's mind as in the
> writer's. It does not have to be, as  you suggest, definite for one and
> indefinite for the other. It is equally  definite and generic for both.
> The one who escapes, if we provisionally  accept that idea for Gen 14:13,
> would be, in both writer and hearer, a  genus: "the one who escaped,"
> used specifically of an otherwise  unidentified person who came to
> Abraham with news of  Sodom.
>
> JW:
> This is non-responsive to my question above. If you are willing to try
> harder I suggest you try to answer my one important question above:
>
> What examples would you give in the Hebrew Bible of the Author being
> Definite and the immediate Hebrew hearer taking it as Indefinite?

HH: I should have been clearer. If the context lacked a specific person
that the hearer could identify, he might have been able to understand
that the reference was generic and indefinite.

> JW:
> If I understand the category correctly it is something definite to the
> author that is indefinite to the immediate Hebrew hearer. I don't think there is
> any such category of Hebrew as the previous sentence has a natural
> contradiction. If someone did accept such a category than they would have a huge  amount
> of Uncertainty regarding whether any Author meant the Definite or  Indefinite.
> An uncertainty I have Faith you do not possess.

HH: Context could give clarification. If no virgin has been mentioned or
is ever mentioned to the reader, he can gather that some other idea is
in view than a clearly identified individual.

> JW:
> Well you might want to do a current survey of translations. I believe that
> now the majority of Christian translations have "the".

HH: True, but English allows a somewhat similar idea to the Hebrew use
of the article that I learned. The reader can take "the virgin" as
generic if he chooses to do so. It is the typical young woman in Israel.
She gets pregnant, bears a child, and names him "Immanuel" because of
the hope she has in God and his protection of Israel.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard