[b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Thu Jul 5 17:49:10 EDT 2007

On 05/07/2007 19:44, K Randolph wrote:
> In Isaiah 53:8 the noun "my people" is used grammatically as an
> adjective, not used as a noun, hence it is not the subject of LMW. ...

Karl, "my people" is not adjectival in Hebrew, but is the absolute part
of a construct chain. This may be an argument that "my people" is not
necessarily the subject of LMW. But it by no means proves that it is
not. There are certainly cases in the Hebrew Bible of pronouns referring
back to the absolute parts of construct chains.

A better argument is that the "he" throughout this passage is the
servant, and this verse is unlikely to be an exception.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/