[b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53

Vadim Cherny vadimcherny at mail.ru
Thu Jul 5 13:17:50 EDT 2007

lamo, as other prepositions, normally refers to the closest logically
acceptable noun. Unless there is an overwhelming reason to relate
preposition to a remote noun, the closest noun is your best bet.
In Isaiah 53:8, lamo likely refers to ami, my people. Strictly speaking,
lamo could also relate to "him," the suffering servant; transposition is
possible. Preference is only a matter of interpretation.

Vadim Cherny
http://vadimcherny.org/judaism/isaiah53.htm