[b-hebrew] bi adoni

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Jul 5 08:32:17 EDT 2007

Pere,

In order to try and understand what this enigmatic BI [or BIY],
survived only in the archaic phrase BI ADONI, functionally means we
need to descend into the bowels of the language.
What is sure and certain is that the word BIY [of the KIY, MIY clan]
consists of the combination of the substantive, or existence marker,
AB-BA [having the variant AP], corresponding to the English 'be', and
the personal pronoun IY. Material existence connotes growth,
substance, mass, corpulence, bulkiness, and we find it in )AB,
'father', )EB, 'vegetation', )OB, 'cask', (AB, 'cloud' [a massive
clod of of clotted vapor], (ABEH, 'thick, lumpy', (AWAH, 'twisted,
bent', BA), 'came, appeared, emerged, is here now', BU(AH, 'boil,
bubble, swelling', MA-BU(, 'gushing source', T-BU)AH, 'wheat', ABIYB,
'grass'.
A swell of materializing acute craving or desire is also expressed by
BA) [or WA] as in the root )WH. A Hebrew speaking person would say
nowadays BA) LI GLIDAH, 'I really desire now ice cream', or on the
opposite BA) LI LA-HAROG OTO.
There is obviously a BI in the sense of BA-ANI, 'resides in me,
exists in me, is in me'. But I can not decide [I have already
straggled over it a good deal while writing my etymological
dictionary] if the IY in BI of BI ADONI is ANI for the supplicant or
HI for the master, namely, if it is BA-ANI or BA-HI.
It is possible that BI here is a mere polite acknowledgement of
existence, 'he who is', akin to NA) or )ANA), for the master as in
XAI ADONI or XEI ADONI [see 1 Samuel 1:26], or for the supplicant, or
just generally 'it is so'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University