[b-hebrew] Psalm 10:10

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Feb 28 20:30:34 EST 2007

John,

Right after saying "He lieth in wait secretly as a lion in his den
(cover?)" the poet goes on to say "he draweth him into his net",
implying that the momentary lion analogy is over. Henceforth no more
lion but only man. Hence, I would tentatively translate psalm 10:10
as: "And he will oppress the meek, and the poor shall fall into his
forts (strongholds, cages, traps?)". No teeth, no claws.

It appears to me that you grammatically micro-manage the text to
death. Flow with the logic of the poetry and you will get the text
right.

Isaac Fried, Boston University