[b-hebrew] Tenses - Deut 6:4

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Feb 26 07:58:48 EST 2007

Bob.
Until an informed, grammar-versed, member comes up with an
authoritative textbook answer to your question, I will tell you how
I, naively, yet effectively, look at these grammatical matters. Keep
in mind that language is technically a primitive device. We
understand what is being said partly by dint of grammar, but mostly
by dint of intelligence and circumstantial understanding.

Take (KJV) Exodus 21:5: "And if the servant shall plainly say, I love
my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free". The
Hebrew word is AHABTI, which in my opinion is AHAB-TI (- is a hyphen
in place of a +), with TI being the obsolete stand-alone personal
pronoun ATI=ANI, the English 'I'. Thus the servant is plainly saying
"love-I (love-servant) master-I, wife-I, and children-I".

If you look up AHABTI in a table of Hebrew verbs you will be informed
that it means ‘I loved’ (once upon a time), from the root AHB. But
this is certainly not what the servant is saying. How do we know
that? By dint of intelligence and understanding. We know (?) the
infinite nature of love, and we are aware of the emotional ties that
bond a family together (if not, there are hundreds of books written
to sharpen our understanding). What we hear is not "I loved" but
rather "I loved, I am loving, I will love forever". This is the
difference between local (isolated word) grammar and global
(contextual) grammar. Indeed, the KJV translation of ‘I love’ is
correct in the contextual sense, but not in the narrow tabular
grammatical sense.

In Genesis 22:2 we read: "Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac,
whom thou lovest". The Hebrew word is AHABTA=AHAB-ATA=AHAB-ATAH,
'love-you'.

In Proverbs 8:36 we read: "all they that hate me love death". The
Hebrew word is AHABU=AHAB-U=AHAB-HU, 'love-they'. But not
*AHABHEM=AHAB-HEM.

In Deuteronomy 10:19 we read: "Love ye therefore the stranger". The
Hebrew word is VA-AHABTEM=VA-AHAB-ATEM. 'and-love-you (plural)'.

In Isaiah 43:4 we read: "and I have loved thee". The Hebrew word is
AHABTIKA=AHAB-ATI-AKA, 'love-I-you', where AKA is an obsolete
equivalent to ATA. It is used here to avoid the clumsy *AHABTITA=AHAB-
ATI-ATA, or *AHABNITA=AHAB-ANI-ATA. Theoretically: AHABTINI=AHAB-ATI-
ANI, 'love-I-I', not to be confused with AHABTANI=AHAB-ATA-ANI, ‘love-
you-I’.

Isaac Fried, Boston University