[b-hebrew] "sh" in Biblical names in English

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Sat Feb 3 03:34:41 EST 2007

On 02/02/2007 13:46, David and Toby Curwin wrote:

> I've noticed this. The mystery to me is those biblical proper names that do
> have "sh" in English: e.g., Asher, Ishmael, Jehoshaphat, Joshua, Shiphrah
> (which are all I can think of off hand)."

I'm not sure what the mystery is. Names in English translations of the
Hebrew Bible are mostly based on the Hebrew forms of the names. Only a
few of the very familiar names, like the three you list, are based on
Latin forms which are mostly copied from the Greek. This has been true
at least since the King James version.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/