[b-hebrew] "sh" in Biblical names in English

David and Toby Curwin tobyndave at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 04:46:45 EST 2007

Hi -

On my site I recently wrote about the Hebrew letters sin and shin:

http://www.balashon.com/2007/01/shin-and-sin.html

And in the comments there:

http://www.haloscan.com/comments/curwin/5121195073571322268/

someone brought up an interesting question:

"In Greek there was no "sh" sound, so many proper names were translated with
"s": Moshe / Moses, Shlomo / Solomon, Shmuel / Samuel.

I've noticed this. The mystery to me is those biblical proper names that do
have "sh" in English: e.g., Asher, Ishmael, Jehoshaphat, Joshua, Shiphrah
(which are all I can think of off hand)."

I find this question very interesting, but I have not been able to find any
answer. Do you have any possible explanation?

Feel free to respond to me, or in the comments there.

Thanks,

David Curwin