[b-hebrew] Wellhausen

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sun Dec 30 02:19:07 EST 2007

Just to clarify, for those who are not familiar with the positions:

N.A. Silberman is the American scholar who is the Israeli archaeologist
Israel Finkelstein's partner in writing his recent popular books, in which
he explains his "minimallist" views on the Uinted Monarchy (basically, that
the archaeological evidence shows that there could not have been a powerful
state in 10th century BCE Israel, and thus most of the biblical descriptions
of the reigns of David and Solomon are late (in his view - Josianic)
inventions. Amihai Mazar is one of the leading Israeli "secular"
archeologists who, on purely archaeological grounds, does not agree with
Finkelstein's analysis or with is conclusions. The Finkelstein-Mazar book
which Yitzhak keeps mentioning is (I assume - I have not yet seen it) a
collection of the arguments of both schools.

Yigal Levin