[b-hebrew] SRB and SLWN, any clues from cognate languages?

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 13:29:22 EST 2007

On Dec 28, 2007 6:25 PM, K Randolph wrote:
> These two words are used only in Ezekiel. SRB is used only in 2:6 and SLWN
> used both there and in 28:24. Known words used in parallel with them are
> scorpion in 2:6 and thorn bush in 28:24. In 28:24 SLWN appears to be the
> cause of infection.
> SLWN looks like it comes from the same root as SLH, used in Psalm 119:118,
> some sort of meaning connected with despising.
>
> Are there any more clues as to the meaning of these words?

According to HALOT, srb in Arabic means 'to graze freely,' and in general in the
Bible means 'obstinate.'
Similarly, slwn has cognates in Jewish Aramaic, Mandaic, Syriac, Arabic, and
Akkadian all meaning 'thorn,' just like in the Bible.

Therefore, I would suggest that slwn is 'thorn' and sbr is 'weed.'

Yitzhak Sapir