[b-hebrew] Wellhausen vs. Patriarchal Narratives

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Thu Dec 27 22:49:26 EST 2007

Yitzhak  Sapir:
You wrote:  “Besides, as I stated originally,  even aside the DH, there are
other factors
such as archaeological evidence  that is incompatible with many details of
the Patriarchal, Exodus and  Conquest narratives.  That alone is sufficient to
lead us to understand  that the composition of these narratives is in the
1st millennium BCE, and  mainly faint memories if even that go back further.”
Please set  forth one or more items of  “archaeological evidence that is
incompatible with many details  of the Patriarchal narratives” for a  mid-14th
century BCE Patriarchal  Age.
You and Yigal Levin keep insisting that the  Patriarchal narratives were
composed in the mid-1st millennium  BCE.  If so, then where are the  stories in
the received text that do not fit a mid-14th century BCE  Patriarchal Age?  And
where is the  archaeological evidence that is incompatible with a mid-14th
century  BCE Patriarchal Age?
The mid-14th century BCE is such  a short, peculiar time period that it
should be very obvious if the Patriarchal  narratives were composed in the mid-1st
millennium BCE, rather than,  as under my view, in the mid-14th century BCE.
You will recall that the  mid-14th century BCE period has the dreaded
Hittites, the Hurrians,  iniquitous Amorites, the Decapitation of the Shechem
Offensive, the monotheistic  son-in-law from the southwest who rudely breaks with his
irate father-in-law  from Naharim on the upper Euphrates River over the matter
of statues that are  not delivered by the son-in-law, tent-dwelling
habiru/Hebrews, constant battling  over water well rights at Sur/Tyre, a horrible
2-year famine in parts of Canaan,  foreign mercenaries in Lebanon (who might be
given the derogatory nickname of  “Invaders”/“Philistines” by a Hebrew author
in the mid-14th century  BCE), etc., etc., etc.  It’s really  a very peculiar
time period, chockfull of very specific facts.  How could any group of  mid-1st
millennium BCE authors be coming up with all that  mid-14th century BCE
material?  And the biggest issue in the mid-14th century BCE was whether  the first
historical monotheist would sire a son by his beloved main wife  #1.  Sound
familiar?  And did I mention that the strange  pharaoh in Egypt during that
time period took back all the land along the Nile  River for the royal household?
Please set  forth some evidence for your position that there is “
archaeological  evidence that is incompatible with many details of the  Patriarchal
narratives” for a  mid-14th century BCE Patriarchal Age.  Then we’ll evaluate your
evidence, out  in the open, for all to see.  Is  that too much to ask?
Jim  Stinehart
Evanston,  Illinois