[b-hebrew] ASKING AGAIN Re: YHWH

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Wed Dec 26 23:34:22 EST 2007

They are two different names.

Rashi says that when G-d told Moshe His name was Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh,
He used "Ehyeh" twice, because He was telling him to tell the people
that - just as He is with them in this difficult time, He will be
with them also in future tribulations.  This is a vague recollection,
I am too tired to look it up exactly, now...

And we had this conversation before, on this list - that Ehyeh Asher
Ehyeh is future, and I don't remember why people said they translated
it as present, but all the translations I have, as well as all of
Chazal who comment on this Name, refer to it as future.

I don't know why people can't just accept that they are two of G-d's
many Names, and why they need, instead, to say they are conjugations
of a verb.  They are used in the Torah as Names, and, after all, G-d
can name Himself anything He pleases...  That these two have the
letters of the verb "to be" in them, is also not mysterious, since
G-d is Existence itself.

Shoshanna

Shoshanna,

How do you relate YHWH with the AHYH in the previous verses of Exodus?

Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk at concentric.net> wrote:

Yes, that makes a difference

I think that the reason that this Name reminds one of the verb "to
be", is because it is referring to the fact that G-d exists in the
past, in the present, and in the future, simultaneously.

Shoshanna Walker

Shoshanna,

I should have said "when HWH is used as a verb." Sorry.

I was assuming that the name YHWH was a reflection of the third
person singular verb form. This seems to be a possibility, correct?

John C. Wilking

Shoshanna Walker wrote:

Of course I know that it is a name and not a verb or a noun, but someone on
this list declared that it was used as a verb, I wanted him to cite where he
thought it was used as a verb.

Shoshanna

> Shoshanna,
>

> YHWH is not a verb and not a noun, it is a personal name. The entire
> "morphological" argument hinges on the, in my opinion undecidable,
question
> as to whether Y and H are radicals or personal pronouns.
>

> Isaac Fried, Boston University

Never miss a thing.
Make
Yahoo your homepage.