[b-hebrew] Wellhausen and statistical text analysis

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 18:02:26 EST 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 8:38 PM, Christopher Kimball wrote:

> The problem is in splitting a single text into pieces without inducing a
> particular result.  Given a machine generated, homogeneous text, one can
> split the text arbitrarily so as to achieve desired statistical
> differences.  This is the root problem of the DH. The DH is a subjective
> splitting that inherently achieves its goals.
>
> The value of the DH is in recognizing the Torah is a composite document
> reflecting different traditions.

Hi Chris,

Yes, you're right.  Let me point out that in discussing contradictions and such
I meant something much greater, like the number of days of the flood, or
whether the Israelites crossed Edom or detoured around it.  Furthermore,
while DH is subjective, it is possible to perform the split according to one
criterion and then see how well it matches in others.

Yitzhak Sapir