[b-hebrew] Shechem: Secular History vs. Patriarchal Narratives

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Wed Dec 26 11:18:34 EST 2007

Kenneth Greifer:

 You wrote:  “I am not trying to argue with you about the Amarna letters and
the patriarchal narratives, but I want to say one main thing, you only look
for similarities, and you totally ignore differences. If you only give weight to
evidence that fits your beliefs, and you give no weight to anything against
your beliefs, then you are guaranteeing that your belief will win.  If a leader
from Shechem gets killed in the Amarna letters and a leader from Shechem also
got killed in the patriarchal narratives, then you see the similarity as a
proof. You don't seem interested in the details of either story or any of the
differences because you don't consider differences as evidence. If you don't
consider differences as evidence, then, of course, you can't be proven wrong.”

Do you expect me to send a book into the b-Hebrew list?  In fact, I want to
talk about the puns on the name “Joseph”.  But you keep asking me for details
about Amarna.

Let me quickly list here 7 similarities between the Decapitation of the
Shechem Offensive as it occurred near the end of Akhenaten’s reign, and as it is
represented in chapters 34 and 35 of Genesis.

1.  Locale

The locale is Shechem.

2.  Leader of Shechem Is Killed

The leader of Shechem is killed in both instances, along with the men who are
with him.

3.  Leader of Shechem Was Temporarily Vulnerable, Having Made a Requested
Goodwill Gesture to the First Historical Monotheistic Leader of a People

Lab’ayu agreed to Akhenaten’s demand that the leader of Shechem must come to
Egypt to explain himself.  Hamor agreed to Jacob’s demand (put forth by Jacob’
s sons) that Hamor and the men of Shechem be circumcised.  In both cases,
this requested goodwill gesture to the first historical monotheistic leader of a
people made the leader of Shechem temporarily vulnerable.

4.  The Son of the Leader of Shechem Caused Major Headaches

In secular history, the sons of the leader of Shechem were actively
recruiting tent-dwelling habiru to join forces with the city-state of Shechem to take
over all of central Canaan.  This was why Akhenaten intervened.  And that is
why the leader of Shechem has to make the self-serving, lame claim to Akhenaten
that “I did not know that my son was consorting with the habiru”.  In chapter
34 of Genesis, the son of the leader of Shechem literally consorts with the
tent-dwelling Hebrew Dinah.  In both cases, it was the actions of a son of the
leader of Shechem that brought matters to a crisis stage.

5.  Morally Questionable Action

The Decapitation of the Shechem Offensive is morally objectionable.  Lab’ayu
rightly thought he had a right of safe passage to visit Akhenaten in Egypt.
The leader of Shechem probably should not have been murdered on his way to meet
his sovereign.  Likewise, the men of Shechem were doing what Jacob’s sons had
asked by circumcising themselves.  Then, in their weakened condition, they
are killed by Simeon and Levi in a surprise attack.  Yet though both attacks
were morally questionable, they had a great result.  The threat of Shechem to
take over all of central Canaan was suddenly vanquished, once and for all.

6.  Surprising Lack of Adverse Consequences

After Lab’ayu’s murder, his sons tried to get some of their neighbors to
kill the perpetrators in Jenin, and to resume Shechem’s drive to dominate central
Canaan.  But nothing happened.  There were no revenge killings at all.  Like
a semi-miracle, everything was done, with no adverse consequences.  Chapter 35
of Genesis is the same.  Jacob had feared at the end of chapter 34 of Genesis
that the neighbors of Shechem would attack the Hebrews.  But no attack ever
came.

7.  Comparison to the Hittites

The only decisive military action that Akhenaten ever took, albeit
indirectly, was when he rounded up an anti-Shechem coalition, and one member of that
coalition unilaterally murdered the leader of Shechem.  The first Hebrews cheered
the ending of that regional threat to take over all of central Canaan.  But
the much bigger threat was on the international scene:  the Hittites.  In order
to link the two situations, the author of the Patriarchal narratives refers
to the people of Shechem as “Hivites”, a made-up, non-historical name that is
deliberately designed to link Shechem to the dreaded Hittites.  What the
author of the Patriarchal narratives is ingeniously arguing is this.  Look,
Akhenaten, how wonderful everything turned out when you took aggressive action
against Shechem’s attempt to dominate Canaan.  In the end, it turned out that almost
everyone in Canaan was on your side.  Now do the same regarding the Hittites!
 Aggressively act to oppose the Hittite international threat to Canaan, and
you will find that all of Canaan is behind you all the way.  Everyone cheered
the Decapitation of the Shechem Offensive.  Imagine how loudly all of Canaan
will cheer when you stop the dreaded Hittites from invading Canaan.  Not only us
tent-dwelling Hebrews/habiru, but also all the city-dwellers in Canaan as
well, will back you all the way, if only you will take assertive, aggressive
action to stop the dreaded Hittites in their tracks.

Kenneth Greifer, there is no space on the b-Hebrew list to give a more
balanced account of the Decapitation of the Shechem Offensive.  It is obvious that
the men of Jenin, who killed the leader of Shechem in secular history, are not
identical to Simeon and Levi in chapter 34 of Genesis.  But certainly everyone
in the mid-14th century BCE would have seen the obvious comparisons between
the killing of the leader of Shechem in secular history and chapter 34 of
Genesis.

If you will allow me, I would now like to get back to analyzing the puns on
the names of Jacob’s sons, because Biblical Hebrew language issues like that
are what the b-Hebrew list is all about.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois