[b-hebrew] Amarna Letters

Stephen & Rebecca Shead srshead at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 10:00:57 EST 2007

Jim,

Thought I'd step in with one objection, concerning your argument about Akhenaten's and Abraham's "obsession" to sire a son by their beloved main wife #1.

Were this correspondence mere coincidence, I hardly think it would count as "bizarre", as you put it. How many couples across the ancient world struggled to produce a son?? Factor in the very striking non-correspondence that Abraham and Sarah had no daughters (why make Sarah entirely barren?), and the comparison is hardly convincing. And there are other details for which (unless I am to be corrected) there is no known correlation - most importantly, Abraham and Sarah's remarkable age.

Moreover, I disagree that "the #1 story in the Patriarchal narratives" is "Abraham’s obsession to have a son and heir by his beloved main wife #1 Sarah". The #1 story is the multi-faceted promise by YHWH to Abraham of descendents, a land, a name, and blessing to them and ultimately to the world. The barrenness of Sarah is but one (albeit a very important one) of many apparent obstacles to the fulfilment of the promises.

In fact, strictly speaking Abraham does not (in the narrative) even pray for a son. Rather, he raises the problem of his childlessness in the context of the promise, asking what YHWH will be able to "give" him in that case (Gen 15:2-3). You could, of course, interpret this as a polite, implicit request for a son; but I think it is best taken, in the context, as first of all an agonized and bemused questioning of the possibility of YHWH's promise being fulfilled.

Stephen Shead
Centro de Estudios Pastorales
Santiago, Chile