[b-hebrew] Looking away from the Wellhausen JEPD Theory

belaga at math.u-strasbg.fr belaga at math.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Dec 26 09:42:31 EST 2007

Dear Yigal,

Thank you very much for this attentive, even if not exactly relevant
to my worries answer.

By the way, I do understand and willingly accept -- eise hu hacham ?
halomed mi cal adam -- the superior competence, yours and Ytzhak's, in
the b-Hebrew matters we discuss, so I am really glad to be at this
moment a newcomer to an intelligent forum, not to the American foot's
training camp.

(1) First, I wasn't primarily interested in discussing and debunking
the Documentary Hypothesis. It is already around for a while, and as I
am aware, many respected researchers just ignore its existence, others
not, etc.

(2) Defending "crazy" solutions, I didn't mean anything particular on
this forum, and, say, the "Amarna letters" interpretation, or
substitution of the Patriarchal Narratives would be as good or as bad,
and surely as irrelevant to the origins of these narratives as the
Documentary Hypothesis (another question is the value of the Amarna
data relevant to the Patriarchal epoch).

(3) My worries relevant to the functioning of this forum are the
one-dimensionality of the dominant, guiding vision provided by you
and, especially, Yitzhak.

(4) To illustrate the point: you dismiss or at least intentionally
ignore all appeals for the SCIENTIFIC respect of the intellectual
integrity of the Jewish academicians of the pas who have faithfully
transmitted to us the Biblical texts. Moreover, it was enough that a
certain mediocre German scientist, systematically referred by Yitzhak
as "Professor Wellhausen", with no firsthand knowledge in the matter
(I mean both the Jewish Orthodox tradition and the rich Christian
theology, mostly Catholic), certainly condescending intellectually to,
and in the all evidence, disgusted culturally by all Biblical
narratives as human, if not divine documents (he just was not able to
mention the priestly texts without a dismissive shrug), -- it was
enough for this academician belonging to the intellectual school
preparing the elimination of the Jewish component from the foundations
of their superior, Arian culture, to suggest that the Pentateuch is
just a Jewish complot program, worked out by smart ideologues in the
time of an urgent political necessity, -- that some are ready to fully
accept it, debunking proudly the rich and fruitful, many thousand
years long Judaeo-Christian tradition.

(5) You say:

> The main part of your message claimed that the Graf-Wellhausen theory should
> be discounted because its proponents were anti-Semites, predecessors of the
> Nazis.

It is not true, as you see: my main point is that I feel it
inappropriate that this theory is treated by you and Yitzhak as the
most "scientific".

(6)On a more personal note, you continue:

> While it is true that every scholar is a product of his or her
> society and generation, and some of them may have actually been despicable
> human beings, the scientific method that I was taught says that one should
> evaluate a theory by what it says, not by who said it.

I do not see that Schopenhauer whom I cite or Wellhausen have been
"products of their society and generation". They were the educators of
the perpetrators of horrendous crimes.

(7) As a mathematician, I was also exposed to the problem of how
accept the work of the truly Nazi or too enthusiastic Soviet
colleagues. Still, Mathematics is too far away from the core human
existence. Medicine is not: people who today are trying to use the
"medical evidence" accumulated in the Nazi camps by such "doctors" as
Mengele are missing something crucial about what means science.

(8) Science is about integrity, the intellectual integrity in the
first place, but also about moral integrity.

(9) Linguistic analyses of Biblical texts were initiated by Orthodox
Rabbis, with the first modern dictionary of B Hebrew belonging to
Kimche. I do not see why such analysis should be associated with
Wellhausen in the first place.

> Dear Edward,
>
> Please don't missunderstand; no-one here has claimed that it is "not
> permitted" to question the Documenary Hypothesis. Quite the contrary -
> Yitzhak has mentioned the many changes and ammendments that have been
> proposed over time, as our understanding of the archaeological,
> geographical, historical, literary and linguistic background of the biblical
> world has evolved. In any kind of science, a theory/hypothesis (and that
> really IS all we are discussing here) is only valid as long as it is the
> most reasonable way to understand the evidence as it is known at the time.
> As new evidence comes in, the theory must be either updated or abandoned. In
> the field of biblical studeis, the past 150 years have produced more
> evidence than did the previous 1500 years, and yet the basic methodology
> behind the DH has proven to be sound. So that while present-day renderings
> of the DH are as similar to the "original" Graf-Wellhausen theory as
> present-day biology is to Darwin's original theory of evolution, it can
> certainly be said that (in both cases) the "original" still stands. Of
> course, an astonishingly new discovery this afternoon may force all of us to
> eat our hats, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
>
> You are also correct, that in all sciences (not just "hard science") someone
> does occasioally come along and revolutionalize the field. Even if a
> person's "radical new" ideas eventually turn out to be wrong, "rocking the
> boat" and frosing everyone to re-think their positions is a good thing.
> However, the difference between humanistic studies, especially biblical
> studies, and the "hard sciences" is that no-one would dare claim that the
> accepted theories that guide physics are wrong, without first aquiring a
> proper education and the approprate degrees in those theories. In the case
> of biblical studies, many people feel free to criticize without first really
> studying what they propose to knock down. Of course, this is met with
> antagonism from the "professionals". Now it is still possible that someone
> from "left field" might actually be right - but for every persecuted
> Galileo, there are a hundred more would-be wanna-be's who just do not get
> it.
>
> The main part of your message claimed that the Graf-Wellhausen theory should
> be discounted because its propnants were anti-semites, predecesors of the
> Nazis. While it is true that every scholar is a product of his or her
> society and generation, and some of them may have actually been despicable
> human beings, the scientific meathod that I was taught says that one should
> evaluate a theory by what it says, not by who said it.
>

> Yigal Levin

Edward G. Belaga
Institut de Recherche en Mathématique Avancée
Universite Louis Pasteur
7, rue René Descartes, 67084 Strasbourg Cedex, FRANCE
tel.: 333 90 24 02 35, FAX: 333 90 24 03 28
e-mail : edward.belaga at math.u-strasbg.fr