[b-hebrew] YHWH

TedBro at aol.com TedBro at aol.com
Wed Dec 26 09:14:44 EST 2007

Yigal:

It certainly is possible that Ex. 3:14 is a sort of folk etymology. The
Torah does not appear to have our modern scientific sense of etymology.

A clear example is related to the naming of the city of  Babel, Genesis says
that Babel derived its name as a consequence  of God's confusing the languages
of the people when they tried to  build a tower with its top in the heavens.
It would make more sense that  the place was named before God cause the
confusion. The scientific  derivation is Bab-El, the gate of God.

Similarly, 'EHYEH ASHER 'EHYEH could be an attempt to interpret the meaning
of YHWH. When you say that the phrase is a pun, I gather that that is what
you are suggesting.

Cheers,
ted brownstein

In a message dated 12/25/2007 11:13:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,