[b-hebrew] ASKING AGAIN Re: YHWH

TedBro at aol.com TedBro at aol.com
Wed Dec 26 08:59:37 EST 2007

Shoshanna and Isaac:

The point I made is not that YHWH is a verb, but that the name appears to  be
derived from the verbal root HYH. Does anyone on this list disagree with a
verbal derivation? (The Hebrew lexicon is generally recognized to contain both
denominative verbs, nouns with a verbal root, and deverbal nouns, a noun
that has been derived from a verbal root.)

In Ex 3:14, G-D explains and elaborates on His name to Moses saying:  'EHYEH
ASHER 'EHYEH, which is usually translated I AM THAT I AM.  'EHYEH is the
first person imperfect form of the verb HYH. An alternate   translation might
therefore be" I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE, although the imperfect  form does not
always indicate future time. This seems to be as clear as the  evidence is going
to get that YHWH is somehow connected with HYH.

The exact form YHWH never appears as a verb.

Cheers,
ted

In a message dated 12/26/2007 3:11:42 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,