[b-hebrew] YHWH

John Wilking jcwilking at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 25 13:52:17 EST 2007

Ted,

  It's not different syntax, it's different morphology and I realize that.  But I'm not sure that we know that the verbal aspect is emphasized.  Hebrew doesn't seem to have a standard copula like Greek and when YHWH is used as a verb it often is just a helping verb.

  John C. Wilking

TedBro at aol.com wrote:
        John:

  Despite the fact that some translations render ANI as "I am" in Isaiah 47:8, the syntax is very different than YHWH...

  1) ANI is a pronoun, while YHWH is presumably some verbal form, of HYH.
  2) The role of ANI in these verses is to emphasize the first person which is also present in the suffix of 'PSi while in YHWH the emphasis is on the verbal aspect (either being or becoming). In Ex 3:14 the first person is alluded to as the meaning of the divine name but the form YHWH is third person.

  Cheers,
  ted brownstein