[b-hebrew] Amarna Letters

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Mon Dec 24 20:39:49 EST 2007

Yahale  Yadede:
You  wrote:  “I'm sorry if this  question is repetitious, I missed some
earlier comments, but I'd like to ask what is the "Decapitation of the Shechem
Offensive" discussed by Mr. Stinehart?”
In  The Bible
That’s  chapter 34 of Genesis.  The forces  of the first historical
monotheistic leader of a people (in the Bible that’s  Jacob), not at his direct command
and using morally questionable tactics, kill  the leader of Shechem and the
men who are with him.
In  The Mid-14th Century BCE
The  forces of the first historical monotheistic leader of a people (in
secular  history that’s Akhenaten), not at his direct command and using morally
questionable tactics, kill the leader of Shechem and the men who are with  him.
Comparison
In  both cases, the men of Shechem were trying to use tent-dwellers (habiru
or  Hebrews) to be their troops to take over all of central  Canaan.
In  both cases, this morally questionable action was a grand success.  The
Shechem threat was over and done  with.  That’s the Decapitation of  the Shechem
Offensive.
One  of the Amarna Letters has this great quote by the leader of Shechem
(shortly  before he was killed), which sounds like it is coming straight out of
chapter 34  of Genesis:
“I  did not know that my son was consorting with the habiru [Hebrews].”

Every  single major foreign policy event in Akhenaten’s reign like this is
directly  reflected in the Patriarchal narratives.
Jim  Stinehart
Evanston,  Illinois