[b-hebrew] Amarna Letters

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Mon Dec 24 20:27:14 EST 2007

Joseph I.  Lauer:
You  wrote:  “Am I right in  remembering something that I learned (or heard)
many years
ago that the  Egyptians under Amenhotep IV/Akhenaten's rule had to worship
him and he was  the only one to worship the one main deity, the Sun God?”
Let  me give you a much simpler theory of the case, one that is arguably
relevant to  the b-Hebrew list.
Akhenaten’s  #1 obsession in life was to sire a son by his beautiful, beloved
main wife #1,  Nefertiti.  Most of the religious  iconography we have of
Akhenaten features Akhenaten wearing a bull’s tail of  virility, with Nefertiti
half his size standing behind him, with Nefertiti’s  reproductive features
exaggerated, and then one to six daughters, of much  smaller size, standing behind
Nefertiti.  The rays of the sun-god Aten shine down on  Akhenaten.
If  we take the imagery straight, it is hard to miss the message.  Akhenaten
was praying to a single deity  to give Akhenaten a son and heir by his beloved
main wife  #1.
Sound  familiar?  That of course is the #1  story in the Patriarchal
narratives:  Abraham’s obsession to have a son and heir by his beloved main wife #1
Sarah.
Akhenaten  then had a terrible religious and family crisis when Aten did not
come through  and bless Nefertiti with a son.  We  may not be sympathetic, but
the fact was that Nefertiti’s inability to bear a  son was a terrible crisis
for Akhenaten.
The  first Hebrew worried that Akhenaten might wallow in his terrible
despair, and  forget all about foreign policy.  That would then leave Canaan wide
open to be invaded by the  expansionist-minded Hittites.
So  the first Hebrew composed his brilliant composition:  the Patriarchal
narratives.  Each and every one of Akhenaten’s  terrible family problems, with
his beloved main wife #1’s inability to bear a  son being first and foremost, is
right there in the Biblical text.  And never once are any of the strange,
controversial family actions that Akhenaten took in desperation ever
castigated.
Akhenaten’s  #1 problem was essentially identical to Abraham’s main problem,
and to a lesser  degree a variation of this same problem is shared by Isaac
and Jacob, each of  whom has great difficulty siring a son by his favorite main
 wife.
This  is not some bizarre “coincidence”.  Nor is it 1st millennium BCE
fiction, as the Wellhausen JEPD  theory of the case would have it.  No, this is the
first historical Hebrew desperately trying to rally  Akhenaten’s spirits so
that Egypt would defend Canaan and the new Hebrews from  the feared onslaught
of the mighty Hittites.
Jim  Stinehart
Evanston,  Illinois