[b-hebrew] Wellhausen

Michael Abernathy michaelabernat9001 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 24 12:33:09 EST 2007

It has been a long time since I have actually indulged in a serious
discussion of Wellhausen's theories. So, I am probably too dated to
contribute to this discussion. However, I would like to ask a question.
How verifiable is this theory?  I have only read one study which
attempted to prove the existence of distinct sources based on a computer
analysis of stylistic differences in Genesis. That study was at best
inconclusive. I can't say that I am surprised. I should think such a
study might reveal the most blatant plagiarism but any storyteller
adapting material from other sources would probably use the style he was
most comfortable with rather than retaining the style of the original
sources.
I guess I do have one additional question. Can anyone tell me if any
modern studies have been done to prove the viability of identifying
different source materials used to produce a story?
Thank you,
Michael Abernathy