[b-hebrew] Looking into the Wellhausen JEPD Theory

belaga at math.u-strasbg.fr belaga at math.u-strasbg.fr
Sun Dec 23 22:39:01 EST 2007

Dear Ytzhak and Yigal,

I do not agree with the currently dominant academic interpretation of
the historical roots of the Biblical narratives. Such disagreement is
permitted in hard sciences where the modern upheavals have
demonstrated the value, if not necessity of sometimes apparently
"crazy" ideas.

How then could I discuss with you my doubts ? Your strict adherence to
the currently dominant academic positions and norms has finally
convinced me to expose here my supra-academic worries in the case, the
real source of my anxiety. Sorry if it might sound for your ears as a
heavy metal music. But let me start.

If it is permitted to question the accepted for centuries authenticity
of the Patriarchal Narratives and, more generally, of the Hebrew
Bible, as well as the good faith of its "creators", it is surely
permitted to question the academic authenticity and the academic good
faith of the Graf-Wellhausen JEPD Theory.

The problem is that, starting with at least Arthur Schopenhauer, the
German school of thought, the academic school of thought including,
has been slowly approaching the vision and the will which, at the
hands of the Nazis, became the academic theory and will of the
extermination of the Jews, starting with their mental and intellectual
extermination from the religious, cultural, and intellectual scenes.

In his book "The World As Will and Representation" (Volume I, Dover
Publications, New York 1969. Translated from the German by E. F. J.