[b-hebrew] The Wellhausen JEPD Theory of the Patriarchal Narratives

belaga at math.u-strasbg.fr belaga at math.u-strasbg.fr
Fri Dec 21 18:00:06 EST 2007

Being greatly impressed by the depth and loving attention to the
miniscule and yet always pertinent historical and ethnical details of
the Patriarch's narratives of the last contributors, I would be like
to add, without going into details this last evening before the Great
Holidays, the inspirational and psychological features of these
narratives which, in my opinion, testify not only to their historical
authenticity but also to the extraordinary intensity and paradigmatic
force of reported encounters, -- so much that a few hundred
generations of Jews and non-Jews have been culturally (religiosity
including) and psychologically inspired, one could even say, defined
by these encounters.

The cultural and moral possibilities, as well as the will to dismiss
this authenticity are coming only much later, and the way in what
directions and how such dismissals develop speak volumes about the
Western civilisation of the XIXth and XXth centuries and almost
nothing about the subject which still animates many of us.

Happy holidays, dear colleagues!

Edward G. Belaga
Institut de Recherche en Mathématique Avancée
Universite Louis Pasteur
7, rue René Descartes, 67084 Strasbourg Cedex, FRANCE
tel.: 333 90 24 02 35, FAX: 333 90 24 03 28
e-mail : edward.belaga at math.u-strasbg.fr