[b-hebrew] Wellhausen JEPD Theory re Patriarchal Narratives

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Fri Dec 21 11:07:19 EST 2007

Yitzhak Sapir:

You wrote:  “Together, it all these convinced everyone but small groups of
fundamentalists and religious groups who could never accept Wellhausen's theory
in the first place because it conflicted with their beliefs.”

1.  I am not a fundamentalist.  All of my arguments are entirely secular.

2.  I do not think that Wellhausen’s 100-year-old JEPD theory makes any sense
at all regarding the Patriarchal narratives.

3.  One fundamental tenet of Wellhausen’s JEPD theory is that the Patriarchal
narratives are fiction created by four or more southern Hebrew authors in the
1st millennium BCE.  Since you ardently support that 100-year-old theory of
the case, could you please point out at least one story in the Patriarchal
narratives which, in your view, reflects the 1st millennium BCE, and does not
reflect the mid-2nd millennium BCE?

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois