[b-hebrew] Tithing

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Fri Dec 21 11:05:55 EST 2007

Stoney Breyer:

You wrote:  “I think in the passage below you're seeing an error where none
exists.
 The English word "tithe" originally means "a tenth" or "to dedicate a
 tenth".  In non-scriptural usage the latter sense has broadened to mean
 simply "to dedicate" - if I drop five bucks in the Sunday collection
 plate I may self-complacently refer to this as "tithing" - but certainly
 in a translation "tithe" would have its original force.  A salutary reminder
to us all that sound translation depends at least as much on mastery of the
target language as on mastery of the source.”

That’s a good point that “tithe” in English originally meant “tenth” or “
to give a tenth”.  Thus the original English meaning is the same as the
Biblical Hebrew meaning.

But I was not complaining about a translation.  I can live with “tithe”,
although “tithe a tenth”, while a bit cumbersome, would in my view be more
accurate for most English speakers.

That was not my point, however.  Rather, my point was that Genesis 28: 20-22
is not fiction created in the mid-1st millennium BCE by a Hebrew priest who
was trying to get his fellow Hebrews to give more money to the temple.  There is
no way that a mid-1st millennium BCE Hebrew priest would make up a story like
that.  No way.  That story does not fit the mindset of the 1st millennium BCE
at all.  That was my point.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois