[b-hebrew] TITHING

Stoney Breyer stoneyb at touchwoodcreative.com
Fri Dec 21 08:54:28 EST 2007

Jim -

I think in the passage below you're seeing an error where none exists.
The English word "tithe" originally means "a tenth" or "to dedicate a
tenth". In non-scriptural usage the latter sense has broadened to mean
simply "to dedicate" - if I drop five bucks in the Sunday collection
plate I may self-complacently refer to this as "tithing" - but certainly
in a translation "tithe" would have its original force

A salutary reminder to us all that sound translation depends at least as
much on mastery of the target language as on mastery of the source.

Stoney Breyer
Writer / Touchwood