[b-hebrew] Graf-Wellhausen discredited

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 23:25:48 EST 2007

"This is how it displaced and
discredited the earlier theory of Mosaic authorship even at a time
   when scholars did not have the archaeological insights that we
  have today and which inform us how totally incompatible the Mosaic
   authorship theory with our modern knowledge of archaeology and
   linguistics."

       This is a long  and ailing sentence which suffers from syntactical
  problems, and more seriously, from thematic ones.

       Anyone with the slightests familiarity with archaeology  understands
  that it can not be  "compatible' or "incompatibale" with a literary text. A
  literary text does not require any "proof". Much was written about the
  subject, but it is not within the scope of this list.

      And moreover, the well known dictum: "Absence of Evidence, is
  not Evidence of Absence" should always give one pause about
  matters which did, or did not happen over three thousand years ago.

      It was pointed out already, the historicity of Moses and matters of
  faith are also outside the scope of this list.

    Uri Hurwitz                                                                 Great Neck, NY