[b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 7:7

Ron Snider sarasotapt at comcast.net
Thu Dec 20 16:21:51 EST 2007

I recognized that I did not phrase my question very well...What I was
referring to was the verb Piel imperfect 'BD', which is 3ms and the
final noun MTNH which is the feminine subject.  You have translated as
though the heart is the subject of the verb, but it is marked with the
sign of the direct object.  The heart is the object of the gift or
bribe.  The verse very much appears to be talking about the effects of
money (extortion and bribery) on a wise man and the fact that he is
capable of falling to either one.

In any case, Williams points out his work that it is not uncommon for a
masculine verb to begin a clause and have a feminine noun as the subject.

Ron Snider