[b-hebrew] The Name "Judah" and the so-called "discredited, JEDP theory of Graf-Wellhausen

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Thu Dec 20 15:35:18 EST 2007

1.  It is nice to see that many people on this b-Hebrew list do not accept
the majority view of today’s secular academic scholars that the Patriarchal
narratives are a myth created by multiple southern Hebrew authors in the mid-1st
millennium BCE.

Now let’s get back to looking at the fascinating puns on the names of Jacob’
s sons.

2.  The next set of puns we will look at is on the name “Joseph”.  Those
puns will likely prove to be controversial.  Everybody likes Joseph, but the puns
on his name that are given by the author of the Patriarchal narratives are
not inspiring.

3.  In analyzing the Patriarchal narratives, one of the main issues should be
which son of Jacob is picked to be the leader of the next generation of the
new monotheists, and why.  As to that critical issue, the puns on the names of
Jacob’s sons may prove to be illuminating.

Once we look at the puns on the name “Joseph”, we will begin to see the
peculiar criteria that the author of the Patriarchal narratives sees as
determining who will be the successor Patriarch in each generation.  Why does Isaac beat
out Ishmael?  Why does Jacob beat out Esau?  And why does Judah beat out
Joseph?  Are there common characteristics that define Isaac, Jacob and Judah as
winners of the grand prize, and different common characteristics that define
Ishmael, Esau and Joseph as failing to win the grand prize?

We will begin to understand these critical factors when we look at the odd
puns that the author of the Patriarchal narratives gives us on the name “Joseph”
.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois