[b-hebrew] The Name "Judah" and the so-called "discredited , JEDP theory of Graf-Wellhausen"

Christopher Kimball transcriber at tanach.us
Wed Dec 19 21:30:37 EST 2007

Rev. Bryant J. Williams wrote:

"The main reasons for the lack of scholars for not recognizing the puns in much
of the Tanakh especially the Torah of Moses is the adherence to the discredited
JEDP theory of Graf-Wellhausen, anti-Semitism and theology [...] ."

>From James L. Kugel, How to read the Bible, ISBN-13: 978-0-7432-3586-0, 2007, p 42:

  .... But today, it must be conceded, the majority of biblical scholars
  in American and European universities are convinced by the idea of the
  Pentateuch's multiple authorship.  Even if no absolute proof exists,
  they say, some theory of different authors is the most logical and
  parsimonius way to make sense of the evidence. ...

I don't know if the "JEDP theory of Graf-Wellhausen" has obstructed pun recognition
but it certainly hasn't been "discredited".

Chris Kimball
West Redding, CT