[b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 7:7

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 18:51:51 EST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 11:45 PM, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

> The first solution proposed by BHQ is to read mtnh as "his vigor."
> BHQ provides Deut 33:11, Ez 21:11, Job 40:16, and Nah 2:2 as
> additional examples where a reading "vigor" can be accepted for
> mtn, esp Deut 33:11 where "strength" appears in a parallelism.
>
> Other solutions include: mtnh as an adjective of lb, "calm, restrained"
> and lb read as feminine as in Prov 12:25

I sent the post without looking up the verses referenced by BHQ,
something I always mean to do but many times forget.  In any case,
I think Job 40:16 and especially Nah 2:2 are much better examples of
mtn as "vigor."  But as I said, I prefer an adaptation of the first solution
offered by BHQ.

Yitzhak Sapir